Storing your toothbrush in a toothbrush holder ensures you do not misplace your toothbrush and it is easy to reach when you need it. Over time, your toothbrush holder can collect gunk and dried toothpaste. To clean a toothbrush holder, try using mouthwash or vinegar. You can also run the toothbrush holder through the dishwasher to get it nice and clean.
Method 1 Using Mouthwash
1. Soak the toothbrush holder in mouthwash. Mouthwash is a great option for cleaning the toothbrush holder, as it contains antibacterial ingredients. Pour one to two cups of mouthwash in a bowl. Then, soak the toothbrush holder in the mouthwash for one to two minutes. Make sure the holder is fully immersed in the mouthwash.
- You can also pour the mouthwash directly into the toothbrush holder and let it sit for one to two minutes to clean the inside of the holder.
2. Scrub the holder. Take the holder out of the mouthwash. Use a pipe cleaner or a fine brush to scrub the inside of the holder. Scrub the corners and sides of the holder as well as the outside of the holder.
- You can also use a straw cleaner if you do not have a fine brush or a pipe cleaner.
3. Rinse out the toothbrush holder. Once you are done scrubbing the holder, rinse the holder in running water. Shake the water around in the holder a few times to remove any remaining gunk and any residual mouthwash. Use warm or hot water to rinse out the holder.
4. Allow the holder to air dry. Once you have rinsed out the holder, let the holder air dry upside down on a clean towel. Let the holder dry overnight.
Method 2 Using Vinegar
1. Put the toothbrush holder in a white vinegar solution. Another good option is a mixture of white vinegar and water. Combine one part white vinegar with one part water. Pour the solution in a bowl and immerse the holder in the solution for one to two minutes.
- If you want to clean the inside of the holder only, you can pour the white vinegar solution directly into the holder.
2. Scrub the holder. Remove it from the white vinegar solution. Then, use the pipe cleaner or brush to scrub the inside and outside of the holder. Make sure you get all the corners or sides of the holder, scrubbing well.
- You may need to rinse the holder out a few times to really get it clean, rinsing it between scrubs.
3. Rinse the holder. Put the holder under warm running water and rinse it out a few times. This will remove any remaining gunk and vinegar in the holder. Shake the water around in the holder to clean out the holder.
4. Let it dry overnight. Once you have finished scrubbing the holder, place the holder on a clean towel upside down. Allow it dry on the towel overnight.
Method 3 Putting It in the Dishwasher
1. Rinse the toothbrush holder. Before you put the holder in the dishwasher to be cleaned, give it a good rinse in warm running water. Shake the holder in the water a few times to rinse it out. This will help to loosen up any gunk in the holder and make it easier for your dishwasher to clean it.[7
2. Put the toothbrush holder in the dishwasher. Place the holder on the rack in your dishwasher. Then, run it through the dishwasher with your other dishes on a gentle or normal cycle. This should clean the holder well, removing any gunk or residue.
- Make sure the holder is dishwasher safe before you put it in your dishwasher. Most toothbrush holders should be durable enough to go in the dishwasher, especially if they are made of metal or ceramic.
3. Clean the toothbrush holder on a weekly basis. To keep your toothbrush holder free of bacteria, gunk, and germs, get in the habit of cleaning it once a week. Throw it in the dishwasher as part of your weekly cleaning routine. This will ensure grime and gunk does not accumulate in the holder.
-Original post from wikiHow, Francesca Ortega(March 13, 2022) “How to Clean a Toothbrush Holder”, https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Toothbrush-Holder–